1. We need a fiscal sponsor (and more money!)
2. Scott’s Feb. 8th hearing
3. Feb. 8: Fundraiser show
4. Feb. 20: “State Repression and Social Movements: Grand Juries, the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, and Community Activism”
5. CLDC article on Carrie and Scott
1. As we continue the drive to raise funds for Scott and Carrie’s support fund, we are in need of a way for people to make tax-deductible donations to their
cause. If you have or know of a 501(c)(3)-status non-profit that may be
willing to act as a fiscal sponsor for this project, please contact
On this note, we still need to raise a lot of money. We expect legal and other
support costs for both Carrie and Scott to continue mounting over the next
months, and have quite a ways to go in meeting our fundraising goals.
Information about how support funds are used is available here:
Please consider making a contribution and/or setting up a fundraiser of some
sort in your town. You can donate through PayPal here:
or by sending a check, made out to “Coldsnap Legal Collective” with “EWOK!” in
the memo line, to:
EWOK! c/o Coldsnap
PO Box 50514
Minneapolis, MN 55405.
2. In our last email, we said that Scott has a pre-trial conference scheduled
for February 8th and suggested a possible need for folks to travel to Davenport
for courtroom support. It now looks like the conference will be held over the
phone between attorneys and the judge, so we can all hold off on the drive to
Iowa for the moment. Scott’s trial is still scheduled to begin on March 1st,
but we’re hopeful that it will be continued.
3. If you’re in Minneapolis, come to a benefit show on Monday, February 8th.
It’ll be at Memory Lanes (2520 26th Ave S), and the lineup is:
children of euler
and frozen teens
4. …and on February 20th, join EWOK!, the SCSC, and a number of other groups
for a speaking event related to Scott, Carrie, and the AETA 4:
“State Repression and Social Movements: Grand Juries, the Animal
Enterprise Terrorism Act, and Community Activism”
A talk with legendary radical attorney Stu Sugarman and Professor David N.
When: Saturday, February 20th, potluck at 6:30pm, talk at 7pm
Where: Social Science Building Room 1114, University of Minnesota campus
On the anniversary of the arrest of the AETA 4, join sociologists, attorneys,
and community activists to learn about the history of state repression
at activists and scholars involved in social change movements.
Information will be provided on the defense of the following activists:
-the AETA 4, four Santa Cruz activists facing “animal enterprise terrorism”
charges for sidewalk-chalking and other 1st-amendment-protected activities
-Scott DeMuth, a grand jury resister now facing false charges of “animal
-Carrie Feldman, currently in her third month of incarceration in Iowa for
refusing to testify before a federal grand jury
Sponsored by Scholars for Academic Justice, Earth Warriors are OK!
(EWOK!), the Coldsnap Legal Collective, the Scott and Carrie Support
Committee, and the Minnesota Global Justice Project
5. Lastly, the Civil Liberties Defense Center (CLDC) has put out an excellent
article about Carrie and Scott. Check it out at: http://tinyurl.com/yctb2z8